[wix-users] Custom Action DLL digitally signed with SHA2 throws 1723 and 1157 error in Windows 7 and 8 environments

Pradeep Kumar Raghavendran Raghavan_Pradeep at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 3 00:12:07 PST 2016

Hello Experts,

My project uses Wix 7.x. We have a custom action DLL (written in C++) which is digitally certified with SHA2. This DLL was previously certified with SHA1.

There are no changes other than the digital certificate changes.

While installing we receive the below error messages.

CustomAction customaction_a returned actual error code 1157 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action customaction_a , entry: FirstCustomAction, library: C:\Windows\Installer\MSICD2E.tmp

What I have observed so far is:

When the DLL was certified with SHA1, it installs successfully without any errors in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.
When the DLL is certified with SHA2, it gives the above error in Windows 7, Windows 8. But installs successfully in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

I have searched the internet and tried the options suggested and nothing helped.

Is this a known issue / bug? Any solution / workaround would be a great help.

Thanks,
Pradeep