[wix-users] Burn reboot logic

Joel Budreau joel.budreau at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 19:07:37 PST 2016

I'm trying to figure out how burn decides that a reboot is required, and
therefore won't 'apply' my uninstall request...

Scenario:
I have a burn bootstrapper with custom WPF/XAML/C# UI that installs a
single MSI. On install the MSI returns 3010 - Install successful, reboot
required. Burn somehow remembers this value, and when I try to run an
uninstall (without rebooting in between) I see this in the bootstrapper log
file:
Plan complete, result: 0x0
Apply begin
Apply complete, result: 0x8007015e, restart: Required, ba requested
restart: No

The engine somehow determines that the Apply phase can't be run because a
reboot is still pending. I've googled this forever and haven't been able to
find an answer. I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

Thanks,
Joel