[wix-users] Changing the Product Name dynamically without rebuilding WiX Project

Venkatesan, Ravikumar Ravikumar.Venkatesan at scientificgames.com
Tue Aug 30 23:50:08 PDT 2016

Hi All,

                We have a product which is in “15.0” version.  I’ve a WiX Installer project for releasing my patches. We’ve successfully released the minor versions of the product using this WiX project as a MSI file, viz. “15.0.1”, “15.0.2” & “15.0.3”. All is well, so far. Also, I don’t foresee any code changes for the minor version release of any “15.0.x”.

                Now, my problem is that, I need to change the product name to reflect the exact version for each release. Just for that, I am forced to open the solution and rebuild, which gives me another MSI file.

Is there a way in which I can change the product name without rebuilding the project? Or is there any way to build an MSI which refers to some file [which can be changed when the version changes] during runtime to read the product name? Basically, I am trying to find out if there exists a mechanism which allows me to build once and change the product name on the fly for each minor version’s release.

I hope, I’ve tried my best to describe my requirement. Please let me know, if you want any clarification on the same.

Regards,
Ravi

Ravikumar Venkatesan | Lead Engineer II | Bally Technologies India Private Limited<http://www.ballytech.com>   | (M) +91 98 8436 0607

Venkatesan Venkatesan