[wix-users] Elevated CA before GUI?

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Thu Aug 18 21:49:53 PDT 2016

If the requirement is to "Run the UI elevated" then by definition the only way to address the problem is to run the UI elevated.

Using Burn isn't the really the correct solution because Burn is designed to show UI and suppress the MSI UI sequence. If you must elevate the UI then it'd make more sense to have an executable that shows no UI that starts the MSI elevated.

The fundamental problem is that launching the UI elevated is the wrong problem to solve.

Phil recommended Restart Manager, a great solution (Vista+).  CloseApplications was also mentioned, which is a deferred custom action.

Those are the provided solutions to run code elevated.

So, what you've seen is people here trying to challenge the problem definition before resorting to hacking around the systems' designs.

PS: Uninstall doesn't run the MSI UI sequence so elevated UI isn't even a thing there.

PPS: Future releases of Burn may not support "DisplayInternalUI". There are currently unsolvable problems with "DisplayInternalUI".

 Complete answers over there: http://www.firegiant.com/