[wix-users] Elevated CA before GUI?

Robert Goodridge robert.goodridge at lansa.com.au
Thu Aug 18 18:37:39 PDT 2016

So I gather from the no response that there isn't actually a solution apart from mine?

Bob raised these issues:
* It relies on an undocumented implementation detail.
I suspect that it will never change. To elevate the msi, Burn probably runs the whole process elevated. How else would it be done?

* It breaks the ability to use the .msi normally outside the bundle.
Not quite correct.
Bundling is not breaking the MSI. The MSI is already 'broken'.
You may run the msi inside an elevated command prompt and that will run the whole install elevated.
And then the Uninstall is messy. You have to run the uninstall from inside an elevated command prompt. Running it from Programs and Features gets errors.
We've lived with all that because we have to, as far as we know. ...until bundling

* There's existing built-in and standard functionality that solves the problem.
That seems to be deferred custom actions and they don't run in the UI part of the install. So that's not a solution.

Warm regards

Rob Goodridge | CloudArchitect | LANSA Product Centre

It is my understanding that a Deferred Custom Action only runs in the Server Process. It does not run in the first Client GUI process. We need it in for the GUI.

Warm regards

Rob Goodridge | CloudArchitect | LANSA Product Centre

Where do I and the OP find information on :