[wix-users] How to specify payload for wix C++ custom action ( WIX version 3.10.3.3007)

shashank khadse shashank.s.khadse at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 03:07:00 PDT 2016

Hello All,
I am need to use a third party dll for execution of one of my Wix C++
custom action in msi.
I tried using the payload for MsiPackage , but those payloads are getting
copied into the cached directory under the

*"C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\"*
Since the custom action are getting executed directly under the %Temp%
directory
* at runtime *
as per the installer  log
"Invoking remote custom action. DLL:
C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Temp\MSIE983.tmp, Entrypoint: RegisterData", the
installer crashes with an error "A DLL required for this install to
complete could not be run."

Does the dependent dlls also need to be copied at runtime under %temp%
directory ?
The cached dlls does not seems to be picked up.

Is there any workaround for this ?

Regards
Shanky