[wix-users] Is renaming the msi allowed if I include a <MajorUpgrade> tag?

Micha Wiedenmann mw-u2 at gmx.de
Tue Aug 9 06:26:41 PDT 2016

Hi,

I have read https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/robmen/2004/12/08/why-does-changing-the-name-of-your-msi-file-require-a-major-upgrade/ and have concluded, that given:

    <Package InstallerVersion="200" Compressed="yes" InstallScope="perMachine" />
    <MajorUpgrade DowngradeErrorMessage="A newer version of [ProductName] is already installed." />

I can rename the msi-name without a problem. Is that correct?

My reasoning:

- "If you change the name of the MSI file you have to do a major upgrade."
- major upgrades require a new package code,

- my '<Package>' tag is missing an 'Id' attribute which implies that a code is generated for every build: "When compiling a product, this attribute should not be set in order to allow the package code to be generated for each build."- I have enabled major upgrades by using '<MajorUpgrade ...>'. (Is that actually true? What does: "You have to do a major upgrade" mean? Does it mean, I can enable it in a wxs file or does it talk about the way msi files are installed on a system (and how would I have any influence on this)

Thank you for your consideration,
Micha Wiedenmann