[wix-users] Patch uninstall causing Repair

robert_yang at agilent.com robert_yang at agilent.com
Thu Aug 4 21:10:45 PDT 2016

"If patch bundle major upgrades an MSI in the base bundle, uninstalling the patch bundle will remove the upgraded MSI leaving the base bundle broken. That was fixed in v3.9 such that patch bundles repair their base bundles so the base bundles have a chance to fix removed major upgraded MSIs."

The patching we are doing is not of this kind -- it is more along the lines of a minor update, replacing some DLL's and EXE's and bumping the last component of the product version number (eg. "8.0.8128.0" to "8.0.8128.1").

There is just one package in our patch bundle, a .MSP.  The patch classification we use is typically "Hotfix" or "Service Pack".

I understand the need to solve a general problem, but it seems like there should be a way to optimize the process for a trivial case such as this.

I suppose another alternative is to build a private burn.exe with some of this logic turned off, simply for deploying patch bundles.  The question other people around here are going to ask me is "if Windows Installer can figure it out that it doesn't have to repair the MSI, why can't burn ?"