[wix-users] Bootstrapper and patching

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Thu Aug 4 13:25:39 PDT 2016

Yes. It's in here somewhere http://wixtoolset.org/bugs

From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of Patterson, Brent
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2016 12:40 PM
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Subject: Re: [wix-users] Bootstrapper and patching

To clarify, this is not an issue about setting the correct bundle version.  That part is already handled.  What I'm trying to do is this:

I have two bootstrapper bundles, one for MSI and one for MSP.
Let's say the bundle for MSI is 2.0.0.0, and MSI is 2.0.0.0 as well.  The MSP is 2.1.0.0, and bundle for MSP is 2.1.0.0 as well.

I install the bundle with MSI, it adds the bundle entry to "Programs and Features", which shows it as 2.0.0.0 I then install the bundle with MSP, it correctly updates the install files, but "Programs and Features" still shows 2.0.0.0, and there's no "Installed Updates" entry for the bundle.

What I want to see is "2.1.0.0" in the Programs and Features.

How do I set up the bundles so this will happen?  Do they need to share same UpgradeCode GUID?  Or same Related Bundle GUID?  If using Related Bundle, which should I use? Patch, Upgrade, or Addon?  Or is this a feature that isn't implemented like Rob Mensching said?

Thanks again for your help!