[wix-users] Patch installation

Robert Goodridge robert.goodridge at lansa.com.au
Wed Aug 3 21:37:26 PDT 2016

Hi Stephanie,

Executable objects are installed based on the Version number in the executable being greater than the currently installed version of the executable. That's it. No workarounds, Its not date based or difference based. Just version. This is a Windows Installer behaviour, not WiX.

So its not earlier or later, its just version number. (And I'm pretty sure that goes for the entire Patch too. That is an msp version less than the currently installed latest msp will be skipped). We match the msp version to the DLL version, hence its testing my memory back 5 years ago when we worked this all out.

If the DLL is version 1.0.0.1 and the currently installed DLL is 1.0.0.2, the DLL will not be installed.

FYI: We only use patches for "Small Updates" as defined by Rule 46 in the following link.

This link http://www.evernote.com/l/AA1cY9zyX-NOvIHtOXzUtARpOTakERv6ifU/ (the original link is no longer accessible hence a link to my copy. Of the page)

Warm regards

Rob Goodridge | CloudArchitect | LANSA Product Centre