[wix-users] Bootstrapper and patching

Patterson, Brent bcpatterson at xactware.com
Wed Aug 3 09:56:23 PDT 2016

I ran into a patching issue.  The MSI and MSP as generated works fine.  But the bootstrapper bundle that includes them don't quite work.  Here's the scenario:

Each patch is sequential, meaning all previous patches has to be applied in order before current one can be patched.
Each patch has its own bundle, with only the MSP in the chain.

This works fine with MSI/MSP, but when I add bootstrapper bundle with custom UI, the 2nd patch refuses to apply.  However when I run MSP manually, it is applied.  I noticed that the patch bundle didn't increment the version number, nor show up in list of installed updates when applied.

We'd like the patch bundle to increment the bootstrapper version in "Programs and Features" list, and it be able to apply sequential patches.  I've looked but only found info about "installed updates", but not incrementing bootstrapper version in "Programs and Features".  How can this be done?

Thanks!