[wix-users] Anyone know how to set a property from a powerscript customaction ?

Gary M garym at oedata.com
Sat Apr 30 02:19:37 PDT 2016

Hi Edwin,

Thank you for sharing your notes, experience and recommendations in this
technological area.   I typically write windows installers using c# or c++
and directly calling install APIs. Moving into this tooling only seems like
a step backwards in terms of capability. Myself being obviously new to this
type of tooling, I find it a bit disappointing a robust, underlying runtime
engine has gone unexploited; where developers are fire-walled from
capabilities by front-end languages.

Retrospectively, I see similarity between "old world" macro-assemblers and
domain specific declarative languages. Yet, even in the mid-70s there were
means to share data between isolated processes; first using shared files
and the latest traction focuses on REST over HTTP. Advancing past the 60's
as unix developed, shared memory as "environment variables" became a quick,
low cost means for isolated (protected) processes to interchange data. I
say low cost as temporary files used as "pipes" between processes often
required manually removal by highly technical system and file systems
administrators.

One critical capability required to utilize shared data,and current
requirement today, is the ability to manipulate and transform data; a
capability lacking in most declarative languages. Technologies including
Kleene's 60 year old regexp, seem to be crippling absent from the
landscape. One could argue without robust data manipulation capability,
there's no cause to elaborately share data.

As a normal part of business, technologies deployed require maintenance
over the of the product's life cycle. Each technology requires a new and
different skill, not always available on demand. In larger, structured
organizations geared to servicing over 50 million employees, each
technology deployed is vetted for support-ability and security risk. Policy
implemented as best practice and procedure is a common means to control
long term recurring cost, relieve interoperability issues, and reduce the
number of attack surfaces to mitigate opportunity for malicious activity.

Under mentioned and more thorough conditions, binary files pose a higher
cost to assess vs human readable scripting language. Although some share an
opinion scripting languages not a best practice, in certain environments
they provide an often unseen operational advantage. Contrasted to popular
belief, operational constraints along with technologies' capabilities
determine best practice and selected methods.

As for virus scanners disabling scripting capability...  is the reason for
my interest in powershell. In my deployment environment, policy can be
temporally overridden. It will take some additional procedures with IS
departments to open vbscipt policy and making edits to admin guides (SAM),
however its much shorter time frame than getting a new development project
approved.

There is an open source project that pushes powershell scripts written in
wix to the PS motor. https://github.com/flcdrg/PowerShellWixExtension  It
doesn't look like it's been touched much in the past year and looks like a
great starting point.  There is likely a COM technique to share object
between the PS motor and installer instantiations.  Being a long time OS
kernel developer, first instinct makes me look towards software interrupts
to an procedure call pointing to the installer's object functions. I'm sure
there is a better way or at lest there's a COM/.NET api to do the heavy
lifting.

If I just had the time...

cheers,