[wix-users] Anyone know how to set a property from a powerscript customaction ?

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 21:59:51 PDT 2016

You first talked about powerscript and now you're talking about
powershell. The interwebs indicate they are different things...

In either case, you cannot communicate back to the Windows Installer as
you have already determined.

That said, if you do not need to communicate back to the Windows
Installer *AND* you can guarantee the existence of powershell (or
powerscript) on your target systems, then you can quite easily use a
number of mechanisms to run those scripts by setting up proper command
lines. Checkout this post for some things to consider if you want to
execute powershell scripts from your MSI as custom actions:

http://0ptikghost.blogspot.com/2011/03/executing-powershell-scripts-silently.html

Something you'll run into time and time again as you read answers on
stackoverflow, blog posts, online tutorials, forums, mailing list
archives, etc., is that script custom actions are not considered a "best
practice" for many, many reasons. In my opinion, the most important
reason is they are notoriously fragile and difficult to test/debug.
Another reason, often overlooked, is that many anti-virus solutions will
detect and disable script execution causing installers using vbscript,
jscript, and powershell custom actions to fail.

I understand why you would think that a scripting technology will
accelerate your solution as that appears to be the case in most other
types of development but I would caution that acceleration usually comes
at a price, lower quality. When you factor in all the testing required
to ensure solutions are of high quality you don't really see much of a
difference between scripting technologies and compiled technologies.

In the specific case of Windows Installer, you will often pay a large
price with scripting technologies but it is your price to pay. If you
know what you're doing, and don't need to communicate back to the
Windows Installer engine, and you can ensure the scripting engine will
always be available on your target systems, then by all means go ahead
and write your scripts and execute them as custom actions.

If you need to communicate back to the Windows Installer, then you
*MUST* use a C/C++ custom action DLL, a vbscript custom action, a
jscript custom action, or a .NET custom action DLL (typically C# or
VB.NET). You don't really have many other options. Note that the
bridge/shim technology you talk about already exists for these types of
custom action as they've been implemented either by the Windows
Installer itself, or by the WiX toolset. Other Windows Installer
authoring tools might offer other scripting options (I believe you can
interact with the Windows Installer engine with InstallScript if you're
using InstallShield, for example).

If you ever become interested in figuring out what it would take to
develop the "bridge/shim" technology to write powershell custom actions
that can communicate with the Windows Installer engine, then I would
encourage you to read up on implementing a custom powershell host
application. You'd likely write that in C# and it would probably make
most sense to build it on top of WiX's .NET integration. You'd probably
want one or more WiX extensions to allow declarative specifications of
these new types of powershell "custom actions". The custom action would
likely be a "normal" .NET custom action that determines the script to
run embedded in the Binary table, extracting the code and telling the
custom powershell host application to execute the extracted code. The
custom action and custom powershell host application together would be
responsible for providing the appropriate .NET objects so that the
powershell script could interact with the Windows Installer engine in
the same way a .NET custom action, vbscript, or jscript custom action
could. Actually, this could be a fun little project!

--
Edwin G. Castro