[wix-users] Anyone know how to set a property from a powerscript customaction ?

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Fri Apr 29 15:39:44 PDT 2016

It's pretty easy to contribute to the Web site: https://github.com/wixtoolset/web/tree/master/root/documents

From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of Gary M
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 2:04 PM
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Subject: Re: [wix-users] Anyone know how to set a property from a powerscript customaction ?

Phill,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, I'm not and cannot using VS for this project. I wish I could.  I'm trying to resist introducing/enabling platform technology that has not been not previously approved.  I also need to stress the need for scripting language solutions. Introduction of compiled/binary artifacts will alter the deployment timeline possibly adding 6-9 months to release schedules as a well as increased costs.

The powershell issue boils down to language libraries, more specifically what's shared between the installer's scope and the outboard scripting motor. As indicated by Bob A on a stackoverflow thread, Jscript and vbScript runs in the installer's runtime context. Conversely, powershell and other spawned processes execute in private contexts. This means I require a bridge/shim technology between powershell and msi contexts, a new project budget I will not be able to get approved. The most timely solution is a pivot, discard powershell for these functions and shift to vbScript or Jscript.

The wix web site should  have a "best practices" section to help educate developers new to wix and avoid some of these costly pitfalls. I'm sure I'm not the only person bumping into these issues.