[wix-users] Anyone know how to set a property from a powerscript customaction ?

Gary M garym at oedata.com
Fri Apr 29 14:03:47 PDT 2016

Phill,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, I'm not and cannot using VS for this
project. I wish I could.  I'm trying to resist introducing/enabling
platform technology that has not been not previously approved.  I also need
to stress the need for scripting language solutions. Introduction of
compiled/binary artifacts will alter the deployment timeline possibly
adding 6-9 months to release schedules as a well as increased costs.

The powershell issue boils down to language libraries, more specifically
what's shared between the installer's scope and the outboard scripting
motor. As indicated by Bob A on a stackoverflow thread, Jscript and
vbScript runs in the installer's runtime context. Conversely, powershell
and other spawned processes execute in private contexts. This means I
require a bridge/shim technology between powershell and msi contexts, a new
project budget I will not be able to get approved. The most timely solution
is a pivot, discard powershell for these functions and shift to vbScript or
Jscript.

The wix web site should  have a "best practices" section to help educate
developers new to wix and avoid some of these costly pitfalls. I'm sure I'm
not the only person bumping into these issues.