[wix-users] MBA Multiple Instances

Jeremy Drake jeremydrake+wix at eacceleration.com
Thu Apr 28 10:31:01 PDT 2016

For this scenario in general (ie, not just installers but applications
that need to be single-instance too), we tend to use a named mutex, and
FindWindow/SetForegroundWindow.

I think there was some more complicated method recommended on the list a
while back.  Yes, here it is:
http://lists.wixtoolset.org/pipermail/wix-users-wixtoolset.org/2016-March/001624.html

If you need to pass the arguments from the newly launched instance to the
old instance, this more complicated method would probably be for you.  For
us, we just stick to "if mutex cannot be acquired,
findwindow, setforegroundwindow, exit"