[wix-users] Custom Action Process Isolation

Marc Reyhner marcre at exchange.microsoft.com
Thu Apr 28 09:25:51 PDT 2016

I was hoping to do the minimal change to this legacy code as possible.  I know custom actions are launched in a separate worker process from the main installer.  If there are some nobs to control the worker lifetime, that will save me a bunch of time for refactoring this old code.

The DLL is dynamically loaded so it's definitely possible to unload it.  This code is shared outside of setup, I'm a bit worried about regressions if I change it too much.  My experience has been that code that never expected to get unloaded frequently has issues when you change that pattern.

Thanks,
-Marc