[wix-users] How to install multiple instances of the same application using MSI

John Cooper JoCooper at jackhenry.com
Thu Apr 28 08:43:45 PDT 2016

You need to be a glutton for punishment.  I've done two of these including one for another division.  Instance Transforms are the way to go, but, these preconditions:

1) slavish adherence to the Component Rule in every minute detail;
2) put realistic limits on the upper end of instances--two more instances will double you testing load, four more will overwhelm you;
3) relentless testing with all possible combinations of instances, including after hours, to get every detail right.

Bottom line, if everything is perfect, major upgrade can work.  If anything isn't, it won't for instance transform.

MAKE SURE YOU REALLY WANT THIS.

--
John Merryweather Cooper
Senior Software Engineer | Integration Development Group | Enterprise Notification Service