[wix-users] Custom Action Process Isolation

Marc Reyhner marcre at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed Apr 27 13:13:18 PDT 2016

Hi, is there any way to isolate the process used to run a custom action such that when the action is done the process terminates?  My problem is a custom action used for uninstall that loads a dll in the product install directory internally.  This leads to the user getting a prompt to reboot the system on either uninstall or upgrade.  The dll is getting leaked by the code, and so isn't cleaned up until the custom action process exits.  This is some legacy code so refactoring it to unload the dll as custom action completion would be a risky change.  Ideally, I'd like to find an option to make windows installer recycle the custom action worker process before it moves to removing files.

In case it helps this is the current definition of the custom action:

    <CustomAction Id="_PrepareForRemove" BinaryKey="CAApm" DllEntry="PrepareForRemove" Execute="deferred" Impersonate="no" />

    <InstallExecuteSequence>

      <Custom Action="_PrepareForRemove" After="InstallInitialize"><![CDATA[$C_InterceptSvc=2]]></Custom>

Thanks,
Marc