[wix-users] Burn dependencies do not work after uninstall/upgrade

Reuss, Matthias matthias.mr.reuss at sivantos.com
Tue Apr 26 05:45:56 PDT 2016

Sorry that I have to follow up to myself...

I found out that the subkeys of HKCR\Installer\Dependencies are removed on uninstallation of the bundle (regardless whether it is a "real" uninstall or an uninstall during bundle upgrade) if the CustomBA sets the request state of the respective package to None (in PlanPackageBegin). In this case, the Burn log file contains lines such as

[0660:090C][2016-04-21T16:50:30]i329: Removed package dependency provider: {F34A6950-7E0E-4F92-8B0E-C552F4989DA4}, package: MyPackage

If the CustomBA does not touch the request state, the dependency registration remains intact.

My conclusion is that I must either fully rely on the registered dependencies (not touch the request states) - which is likely to be sufficient in most cases or - if I have to touch the request states because of some conditional uninstallation - I cannot use the registered dependencies at all.

Is that true?´

Best regards

Matthias Reuss