[wix-users] Upgrading

Farrukh Waheed farrukh1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 23:50:39 PDT 2016

In my organization, we do Major Upgrades. For this, in our Wix, we are
adding following Upgrade markup:

    <Upgrade Id="$(var.UpgradeCode)">
      <UpgradeVersion
        Property        =   "PREVIOUSFOUND"
        Minimum         =   "1.0.0.0"
        IncludeMinimum  =   "yes"
        Maximum         =   "$(var.Version)"
        IncludeMaximum  =   "yes"
        />
    </Upgrade>

This would do major upgrade to any previous versions installed. I guess,
now in Wix, there is MajorUpgrade element available which do the same job.

See details here:
http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/howtos/updates/major_upgrade.html

and one good discussion is here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/114165/how-to-implement-wix-installer-upgrade/724098#724098

Generally speaking:
1- Major Upgrade would do and Uninstall first and then Install the latest
one.
2- In Small Upgrades/Updates/Patches, Windows Installer compares the
versions of installed files (If Binary) tracked by Component IDs. In case
these are Aschii files (which can't hold version info), their Date and Time
would be compared (and may be size as well), The older ones would be
replaced by the latest ones.