[wix-users] Best Practice Question: How to load and display options from an ini file ?

Gary M garym at oedata.com
Mon Apr 25 11:40:09 PDT 2016

Thanks Phill,

I agree with you, although I was reluctant to accept this approach. I sort
of feel creating new wixlibs I'm in the business of developing installers
vs a revenue generating application.

One of my biggest gaps is realizing the wix language, like other M$
installer languages, are essentially old school, mainframe macro-assemblers
using a (verbose) XML representation. Some rules are inconsistent. For
example parameter inheritance, some push down into children and others push
up into parents. It would not be an issue if that behavior was disclosed in
the tutorials and indicated in the element documentation. Another point of
inconsistency are the conditions vs the variables. If conditions can be
evaluated at run-time, objects including dialog components should be
generated dynamically as well, leading to a new breed of intelligent
installers capable of managing application, VM and cloud deployments in a
single tool.