[wix-users] Burn dependencies do not work after upgrade

Reuss, Matthias matthias.mr.reuss at sivantos.com
Mon Apr 25 08:49:57 PDT 2016

Hello,

Using WiX 3.9R2, I try to install and uninstall several bundles that have several packages in common. Of course, I want those shared packages to be uninstalled only if no other bundle still needs them.

If I install each bundle only once, this works fine. Burn does some persistent bookkeeping under HKCR\Installer\Dependencies and uses this for refcounting on uninstall.

But if I upgrade one bundle, this does not work anymore. When I uninstall this bundle after upgrade, all the shared packages will be removed.

I found out that the related registry subkeys of HKCR\Installer\Dependencies are removed during the upgrade.

So what can I do about this? Is it a WiX bug? Or do I have to somehow declare those dependencies manually?

Best regards

Matthias Reuss