[wix-users] Fwd: Question about Desktop Icon

jayavardhan reddy jayavardhan.m20 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 04:04:55 PDT 2016

Hi All,

I have a visual studio extension which can be deployed as msi and also
creates a desktop shortcut for visual studio with our custom icon.
we use following code snippet to create shortcut on the desktop.

<Shortcut Id="DesktopShortcut2013" Directory="DesktopFolder" Name="Product
Name" Target="[VS2013DEVENV]" WorkingDirectory="VSSTARTDIR2013">
    <Icon Id="DesktopIcon2013" SourceFile="Icons\installer_48x48.ico"/>
</Shortcut>

When the msi is installed on windows 8.1 or windows 7 64 bit os a shortcut
for visual studio is created on desktop with our custom icon as shortcut
Icon, on double clicking shortcut icon an instance of
visual studio is opened and the icon on the taskbar is the visual studio
icon (this is as expected).

However when the msi is installed on windows 7 32bit, the icon on the
taskbar while Visual Studio is running is our custom icon.(Desktop shortcut
Icon).

Could you help me in knowing why is taskbar icon is replaced with desktop
shortcut icon and also how to resolve it.

Regards,
Jay