[wix-users] WIX 3.10: How to create a service referencing a file in a different component ?

Gary M garym at oedata.com
Wed Apr 13 08:21:18 PDT 2016

Hi Rob

I made have mentioned the component where the file resides is generated by
heat. There are approximately 1200 components in that wxs. Since the scale
of the install requires a fully automated build, tracking down and adding
the service definition is not feasible at this point. I was considering
xslt to inject the service definition, but I ran out of road on my schedule.
 If WIX supported a FileRef tag or a searchable tag to returning a fileref,
it could be used populate the component_ column  in the  installservice
table. Yeah, this sounds like a new feaature