[wix-users] Current state of driver deployment

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Mon Apr 11 07:50:09 PDT 2016

In the provided link, I agree with jonks, Thomas S, and Bob's comments.  In my experience the problem is generally in the design of the driver or the driver's class installer.   Some types of drivers, like file system filter drivers are non-deterministic in unloading.  In this regard I previously posted some links to onlineocr.net regarding related discussions about getting filter drivers to unload more reliably.   While DifxApp was intended primarily to support PnP drivers it can be used to install some of these other kinds of drivers, but the behavior is at the mercy of the underling Driver Management APIs.  I doubt that there is a DifxApp fix that is possible in those situations.  I have not had issues using the WixDifxExtension with PnP drivers, but I would expect some issues when used with other types of non-deterministic drivers.