[wix-users] How to launch EXE file under current user account?

Farrukh Waheed farrukh1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 01:01:41 PDT 2016

Windows Installer Service is actually running as msiexec.exe. If you launch
any MSI installation, you will see another msiexec in task manager. There
may be more in child-process.

Did you tried with Impersonate="yes" or "no"?, e.g.:

    <Property Id="WixShellExecTarget" Value="[#myapplication.exe]" />
    <CustomAction Id="LaunchApplication"         BinaryKey="WixCA"
        DllEntry="WixShellExec"
        Impersonate="yes" />