[wix-users] Installing IIS and .Net 4.5 on Different OS Versions

George Legge george at haglis.co.uk
Wed Sep 30 09:19:36 PDT 2015

Hi,

I have an application that can be installed on Windows server 2008 R2 and
above.

It also requires IIS 7.5 and above, with the Application Initialization
module installed.

It also requires .Net 4.5 or above too.

This seems quite straight forward but the different OS versions mean
installing and configuring IIS and .Net are different for each.

So how do I go about catering for the different scenarios ?

For example, if there is no IIS installed on Windows server 2008 R2, I will
have to use DISM.exe (is there any better way ?) to activate it and then
install the Application Initialization (Warmup) Module.

But if there is no IIS installed on Windows server 2012 or 2012 R2, then I
can use DISM.exe to activate everything including the Application
Initialization module.

How do I do this without writing a custom BA ?

There is a similar issued with .Net 4.5 where I only need to install it if
it is missing from Windows server 2008 R2 as it is standard in 2012 and 2012
R2 (4.5.1).

I really am not sure how to even start with this at all.

Many thanks, George.