[wix-users] Changing Burn registration to per-machine from BA

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Mon Sep 28 22:32:31 PDT 2015

Full context at http://bugs.python.org/issue25166, but the basic story
is as follows:

We use Burn to let users choose whether to install per-user or for all
users. If they choose per-user, they do not need to elevate. If they
choose all users, elevation is determined automatically (by the engine?
I didn't dig too far into this part).

However, the registration for the bundle remains per-user. So if someone
selects the all users option, other users cannot see the bundle itself
and cannot remove or modify it.

It seems that changing pEngineState->registration.fPerMachine to TRUE
before planning starts would be sufficient to fix this, but I don't see
any way to do this from the BA. (I'm also not sure what issues may arise
due to having to detect the bundle in multiple locations, but I suspect
those should be resolved anyway.)

Am I missing something? Is this a missing feature? Or a misfeature that
we actually don't need?

Thanks,
Steve