[wix-users] .Net Framework install not working

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Tue Sep 22 12:36:54 PDT 2015

>> If any superior Net framework is installed or installed by bundle itself, then it should go fine with that.
>>If any lower Net Framework is installed, it needs to be upgraded to 3.5 or higher...

Not in my experience.  .Net 3.51 is in the .Net 2.0 family, in contrast to the NetFx4.x family.  I have a third-party setup which does not run on systems which have .Net 4.x or later, when NetFx3 is not installed.  I have not been successful in getting the vendor to update yet the package, yet.

http://www.davidmoore.info/blog/2010/12/17/running-net-2-runtime-applications-under-the-net-4-runtime/

In situations where I have to install this third-party InstallShield based setup (with a CA which "requires" .Net 3.51) I have to make sure that NetFx3 is "enabled" using DISM.exe (Windows 7 or later) or fondue.exe (Windows 8 or later).  It's a pain but possible to achieve.  For my mba and all other applications which my group manages, I make sure that managed apps target NetFx4 or later (and lately NetFx451 to take advantage to bug fixes and performance improvements).