[wix-users] Wix Burn: Rollbackboundary was discarded?

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Thu Sep 17 05:17:54 PDT 2015

Yes it will rollback, and the Permanent items in the chain, if installed will still be installed, the same as what you are trying to do with the RollbackBoundary.  You don't ever need to use a RollbackBoundary.   The RollbackBoundary just says that if something in the chain needs to do a rollback, that the rollback only proceeds back up the chain to the point where it encounters the first RollbackBoundary, and that the items above the RollbackBoundary (none-permanent items) should not be uninstalled (or rolled back) in that particular install action.  In this case the only items above the RollbackBoundary are already marked as permanent, so the RollbackBoundary is not really needed (and in my experience caused problems when there were only 'permanent' items above a RollbackBoundary).  The bundle with only 'Permanent' items remaining could not be uninstalled or upgraded, as the uninstall would immediately return success and leave the bundle registration (and the permanent packages) installed.  So for an upgrade the result was multiple registration entries rather than a major upgrade behavior.

I am no expert and there may be other considerations that I am not aware of, but this has been my experience.