[wix-users] How to create a setup manager to download updates of single package installed by a Burn Bundle

Hoover, Jacob Jacob.Hoover at greenheck.com
Fri Sep 11 12:08:25 PDT 2015

Another option, if you don't mind building WiX, https://github.com/jchoover/wix3/tree/develop-3.10-WixStdBA

That's my feature branch where I've tweaked WixStdBA to handle the update feed, and to allow silently checking for updates.  I implemented the silent update check via the bundle, and a / checkupdate switch.  If nothing is found, then the bundle will silently close.  If an update is found, it will then appear and prompt the user if they would like to update.

For your application to trigger your bundle, I wrapped dutil.lib's butil.cpp methods in a DLL, that I could then invoke from my legacy application.  The bundle will need to pass the bundles upgrade code to the MSI which installs your application, the MSI needs to put the upgrade code in a known good location, and the application then uses this upgrade code to search for your bundle via the DLL.

IE, BundleEnumRelatedBundle to find the bundle by upgrade code, then BundleGetBundleInfo to get the ModifyPath of the bundle.  (In reality, I should introduce a CheckUpdate or Update property, but for now I get the modify path and replace the /modify switch to /checkupdate.)