[wix-users] Difxapp and minor upgrades

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Wed Sep 9 08:42:15 PDT 2015

I would look at the setupapi.dev.log.
Are you using the DiffxApp extension?
Does your updated driver install properly by doing only the steps that the MSI is doing, manually without using MSI, such as by right clicking on the INF file?

If doing a minor update of specific driver files I would think that would break the driver's code signing on the INF file, which would be one reason that the OS might load an older driver with a better driver rank value.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff546225(v=vs.85).aspx

I have never tried to do a minor update of a driver, just major updates of complete driver packages, but I would validate the driver update process using only INF tools, without using MSI before integrating the changes into a MSI package.