[wix-users] Delay installing (application) pre-requisites

George Legge george at haglis.co.uk
Tue Oct 27 08:38:20 PDT 2015

Hi,

I have been looking around for a solution to this all afternoon and have not
come up with much so far except that what I want to do appears to go against
the whole ethos of Burn.

I realise Burn was designed as a bootstrapper to get pre-reqs installed and
found a similar question on Stackoverflow which was pretty much shotdown in
flames
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31754761/can-i-install-net-using-wix-wit
hout-creating-a-burn-project)

The problem I have is that my application has 2 parts which can be installed
together or on their own. One is a web application and the other an
executable.

They each need .Net 4.5 however only one of them requires IIS.

So I need the pre-reqs to not be installed until after the user chooses the
options in the UI. So if they choose the exec only, then there is no need to
install IIS at all. The pre-reqs are for our applications and not a pre-req
for the installer.

Can this be done and easily and if so, how ?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, George.