[wix-users] error CNDL0027 : The File/@Name attribute's value, xxxx is not a valid 8.3-compliant name"

Vijaya Shinde vijaya1909 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 15:45:21 PDT 2015

Hello everyone,

We are trying to generate msi file. There is command candle.exe which uses
wxm file. wxm file has list of file names xxxx .

We are facing below error when tried to run candle.exe.

candle.exe  error CNDL0027 : The File/@Name attribute's value xxxx is not a
valid 8.3-compliant name.

where xxxx is name like 'testdata.value.dll'

We tried below steps to disable 8dot3 but it did not resolve the issue.

   - Navigate to the following registry key:
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem
   - Locate NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation and change the value to 3 (We also
   tried to set it to 1)

*Reference* : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778996.aspx

Please inform us if there are any options that we can try or anything you
can help us with.

Thanks,
Vijaya