[wix-users] How does bundle rollback work?

Reuss, Matthias matthias.mr.reuss at sivantos.com
Mon Oct 19 00:11:46 PDT 2015

Hi there,

I just had a look at a case where an MSI package in a bundle (not the 1st package of the bundle) caused a rollback.

>From what the log files say, the result is not the rollback of all the MSI packages installed so far (what I would expect for a chained installation) - instead for each of the packages already installed, burn applies a "rollback package", which - at least in my case - is basically an uninstall of the package just installed.

This behaviour astonishes me, because I do not see that it cleanlly restores the system to its pre-installation state, what I would expect from a rollback.
I am afraid that I have not fully understood whether and how Burn puts the MSI installations into a single transaction. Or does Burn intentionally not use Windows Installer's transaction processing? Is there some documentation about that?

Best regards

Matthias