[wix-users] Installing SQL database

John Cooper JoCooper at jackhenry.com
Fri Oct 9 11:21:34 PDT 2015

It all depends.

1) You can use SqlExtensions against an existing Sql Server, Sql Express, or Sql LocalDb (I've done all three).  The limitation is that SqlExtensions has limitations when installing to default instances.  But it works just fine otherwise.

2) You can write custom actions to deploy using SqlPackage and the SDDT to an existing Sql Server, Sql Express, or Sql LocalDb.  This method does not have the limitation on default instances.  But it is quite complex.

3) As an intermediate approach, you can have your sqlproj generate the deployment script and use the SqlExtensions to deploy it.

I've done all three, but I've invested a lot of time and effort into two.

--
John Merryweather Cooper
Senior Software Engineer | Integration Development Group | Enterprise Notification Service