[wix-users] How To add an feature after installation

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Tue Oct 6 15:27:43 PDT 2015

The approach I take (which I got from other's comments here(or rather in the old wix-users) and by studying the Setup in the wixtoolset source code) is to create separate MSI packages for applications or functional groups of applications, and then chain them in a Burn bundle.  Burn goes through a planning stage where you can control in a custom ba which packages you want to install.  You can also do this with the WixStdBA and a baFunctions.dll but it is much more limiting.  Generally nested installs within an MSI, if that is what you are trying to do, are strongly discouraged, rather use a Burn bootstrapper application to chain your setups.  Burn is great!