[wix-users] WIX MSI Creation not using VS

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Tue Oct 6 14:29:35 PDT 2015

This link has some basic steps used to create a MSI installer using an XML editor and command line calls. (I did not look it over in detail.  The Wixtoolset CHM often has command line examples in each the howto documents.
http://www.codeproject.com/Tips/105638/A-quick-introduction-Create-an-MSI-installer-with

But maybe I misunderstood your question, and you are using VS to create the project, but you want to know how to build it without using VS.

If you have a project.wixproj file, which describes your project, then you can invoke MSBuild to build it, something like this:

call " %programfiles(x86)%\MSBuild\12.0\Bin\msbuild.exe" "[path_to_your_project]\[project].wixproj"

You might need to use /p:PropertyName=value pairs to configure your build.

Phill