[wix-users] unable to build any WIX projects in VS2015 and Win10

Brian Enderle brianke at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 04:30:14 PST 2015

This might have something to do with installed frameworks (see
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/14/mailbag-what-version-of-the-net-framework-is-included-in-what-version-of-the-os.aspx).
Windows 7 came with .NET 3.5 installed and Windows 10 comes with 4.5
installed and 3.5 as an option which you can add via "Programs and
Features".

Check which version of .NET you are targeting in your application project
(right-click on project name and look under Application for Target
Framework).  If you are targeting .NET 3.5 there are DLLs for both
"Microsoft.Build.Utilities" and "Microsoft.Build.Utilities.v3.5".  In .NET
4.0+ there is just "Microsoft.Build.Utilities.v4.0"

The error message "Could not load file or assembly
'Microsoft.Build.Utilities, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies" would seem to
indicate you are attempting to reference .NET 3.5 and the project is
targeting .NET 4.0+. There is no "Microsoft.Build.Utilities" available in
.NET 4.0+

If the application's framework is .NET 4.0 or higher, check
the application's references and if there is a reference to
Microsoft.Build.Utilities, remove it and add the Microsoft.Build.Utilities.v4.0
reference.

Brian

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.  -
Albert Einstein