[wix-users] Uninstallation do not ask for UAC permissions

Anil Kumar kpanilkumar.mca at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 04:09:30 PST 2015

Hi,

Im developing a single MSI package for per-user or per-machine
installation. Im getting below error during uninstallation from add or
remove programs:

*Info 1403.Could not delete value Description from key
\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\xyz.  System error .  Verify that
you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.*

No issues during installation, per-user installation happens correctly
without UAC prompt and per-machine installation happens correctly when
executing from command prompt(which has elevated permission).

Uninstallation of per-user installation works fine. I have problem only
during per-machine uninstallation, I believe this issue will get fix when
UAC prompts during uninstallation.

Defined ALLUSERS=2 and MSIINSTALLPERUSER=1 as per
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd408068.aspx

Im using WIX 3.10 and testing this MSI on Windows-7. Is it possible to
implement a single MSI package for per-user or per-machine
installation(without any boot strapper)??

Note that I didnt added any deferred/commit custom actions(i have only CAs
with immediate type). Let me know if you need anyother info.

Thanks