[wix-users] unable to build any WIX projects in VS2015 and Win10

Ian Bell ib at ianbellsoftware.com
Sun Nov 29 18:30:41 PST 2015

Hello,

I have just starting learning WIX and am unable to build WIX projects in
VS2015 under Win10 Pro.   In particular, the problem appears related to
Win10 because I am able to build/run my test WIX projects under Windows 7
but not under Win10.

I am working with the WIX Toolset v3.10.  Problems only occur when building
WIX projects in Visual Studio under Win10 (i.e. not Win7).  So  the problems
appear to be specifically related to Win10.   For example, under Win7, I am
able to successfully create and build the Simple Setup project described in
the Win tutorial.   In contrast, when I copy the entire VS2015 test solution
that includes the Simple Setup project to the Win10 computer then attempts
to build it generate the following error message:

Severity

Code

Description

Project

File

Line

Error

The "CreateProjectReferenceDefineConstants" task could not be loaded from
the assembly C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.10\bin\\WixTasks.dll.
Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Build.Utilities, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its
dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. Confirm that the
<UsingTask> declaration is correct, that the assembly and all its
dependencies are available, and that the task contains a public class that
implements Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask.

MySetup

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\WiX\v3.x\wix2010.targets

1279

As mentioned, I have successfully created, built and run a my own build
simple WIX projects under Win7.   However, copying or simply rewriting them
in VS2015  on the Win10 computer, all of them generates various error
messages such as the following:

msb4062: the "generatecompilewithobjectpath" task could not be loaded from
the assembly c:\program files (x86)\wix toolset v3.10\bin\\wixtasks.dll

My attempts at researching  such error messages lead to irrelevant responses
and no answers.  I am hoping you will be able to offer some assistance to
the immediate problem of getting the WIX Simple Setup tutorial to
successfully build under VS2015 and Win10 (i.e. which is my targeted
development environment).

Thank you,

Ian