[wix-users] Enforce either 32-bit or 64-bit [P]

Steven Ogilvie Steven.Ogilvie at titus.com
Tue Nov 24 10:42:38 PST 2015

Classification: Public
This is what I have:

<Product Id="*"
           Name="$(var.PlatformProductName)"
           Language="1033"
           Version="$(var.Version)"
           Manufacturer="$(var.ProductCompany)"
           UpgradeCode="$(var.UpgradeCode)">
    <Package InstallPrivileges="elevated"
             Manufacturer="$(var.ProductCompany)"
             InstallerVersion="500"
             Compressed="yes"
             InstallScope="perMachine"/>
    <Media Id="1"
           Cabinet="media1.cab"
           EmbedCab="yes"
           CompressionLevel="high"/>

    <MajorUpgrade DowngradeErrorMessage="A newer version of $(var.PlatformProductName) is already installed. Setup will now exit." Schedule="afterInstallValidate" AllowDowngrades="no"/>

You must modify the .wixproj as per below... i.e. the two configurations Release|x86 and Release|x64 and in the solution file as per below

Build both configurations...

I also have a check to ensure same version is not installed:

<Upgrade Id="$(var.UpgradeCode)">
      <UpgradeVersion Property="SAMEFOUND" IncludeMaximum="yes" IncludeMinimum="yes" Minimum="$(var.Version)" Maximum="$(var.Version)" OnlyDetect="yes"/>
    </Upgrade>

<Condition Message="The same version of $(var.PlatformProductName) is already installed. Setup will now exit.">NOT SAMEFOUND OR Installed</Condition>