[wix-users] Firewall Inbound rule using Wix element

Marc Beaudry mbeaudry at matrox.com
Fri Nov 20 12:17:03 PST 2015

Hello All,

I am in the process of implementing an InBound firewall exception.  My first
approach was to write a CA using c# (INetFwPolicy2 interface) to create my
rule.

I came across Wix's "FirewallException" Element, but this only seems to
support older versions of windows:

>From the current documentation it says this:

protocol in the Windows Firewall on Windows XP SP2, Windows Server 2003 SP1,
and later. For more information about the Windows Firewall, see  About
Windows Firewall API.

My Firewall  implementation does nothing, but I am using Windows 8.1 and 10
to test on.  The description is clear on what it supports, before spending
too much time on this Firewall element, does WIX have a native means of
creating Inbound firewall rules or is a CA the way to go?

Thanks for the advice and insight,

Marc