[wix-users] IIS WebDirProperties Failures

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Thu Nov 19 15:53:47 PST 2015

I have an installer that follows the visual studio model of side by side installations.   Part of the installation is a bunch of web applications like such:

            <iis:WebVirtualDir Id="virtDirWebServicesSystem" Alias="Redacted-$(var.MSIProductVersion)/wsSystem" Directory="redacted" WebSite="default">

              <iis:WebApplication Id="webAppWebServicesSystem" WebAppPool="appPoolWebServicesSystem" Name="FCM-WebServicesSystem"  />

              <iis:WebDirProperties Id="webDirPropsWebServicesSystem" AnonymousAccess="no" WindowsAuthentication="yes"/>

            </iis:WebVirtualDir>

So I end up with a shared website with multiple webservices that are versioned based on the build.  It generally all works except for the strangest problem.   Every once in awhile the wsSystem virtual directory with have AnonymousAccess turned on  and the application will fail until I go in and manually turn it off.   I can reproduce this by building several MSIs using the same TFS changeset and deploying them one after another.

Has anyone ever seen this?

Thanks,

Chris