[wix-users] Has anyone have made an installer that downloads and installs dependencies first?

Daniel Rodriguez sadasant at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 14:51:10 PST 2015

Hi, I'm new with WiX, I've read the FireGiant tutorial (most of it), it's a
beautiful piece of information but I'm still clueless about one requirement
in my project, let me explain: I need to make an installer that has to
download cygwin and run some stuff inside of cygwin before the program is
ready.

I'm aware that I can add custom actions, so I can download dependencies,
but that means I will need to download cygwin's installer, right? and thus
I will need to run that installer from my installer?? Is that the right way?

I'm happy to know that I'll be learning many things in this project but
that particular point is not clearly defined for me, I prefer to ask
instead of trying to go bind to see if any attempt works, so I wonder if
any of you has an example that does something similar that I could use to
learn how to achieve my goals, or anything that could guide me.

In any case, thanks for your time, I appreciate it.