[wix-users] Firegiant tutorial (slightly modified) results in compile error

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Fri Nov 13 15:44:04 PST 2015

When I use code from the tutorial here:
https://www.firegiant.com/wix/tutorial/com-expression-syntax-miscellanea/environmentally-friendly/

(except that I did not use Environment/@Permanent)
<Environment Id='UpdatePath' Name='PATH' Action='create' System='yes' Part='last' Value='[INSTALLDIR]' />

I get the following error (which is clear but contrary to the sample code at the above link)
  Error CMDL0036: The Environment/@Part Attribute cannot be specified when the attribute Action is present with the value 'create'.

I changed my Environment/@Action="set" and got a functional MSI (yet to be tested in all scenarios).  I am just wondering if the tutorial has an error?

It also seems strange that the chm (wix 3.10.0.2103) for Wix:Environment element indicates that both 'create' and 'set' create the variable if does not exist, so I also wonder if the chm has an error?

Thanks!
Phill