[wix-users] Empty Folders

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 15:12:23 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 1:27 PM, George Legge <george at haglis.co.uk> wrote:

> I know this subject has been raised many times but I am interested to know
> why Windows Installer doesn't like creating empty folders when its done via
> a Harvest, even using the KeepEmptyFolders parameter, but creating them
> using the <CreateFolder /> element in a Component is fine ?

What do you mean by "Windows Installer doesn't like creating empty folders
when its done via a Harvest, even using the KeepEmptyFolders parameter"?

The Windows Installer creates folders as needed in order to install files
in the File table associated with a selected component in the Component
table. To create an empty folder you must associate the folder in the
Directory table with a component in the Component table by using the
CreateFolder table. The way this is done in WiX is to use <CreateFolder/>
inside a <Component/>.

Are you saying the Harvest with the KeepEmptyFolders parameter (this is
done by heat.exe -ke) is generating a .wxs that does not have
<CreateFolder/> elements inside of <Component/> elements for your empty
folders?

--
Edwin G. Castro