[wix-users] Detect and Execute

Björn Karlsson bjorn at april.se
Sun Nov 8 11:40:57 PST 2015

Hi,

I’m new to Wix / MSI.  I just managed to “convert” an good old Wise custom
installation .exe to a Wix .msi.  Seems to work fine.

Now I still have a couple of things my users want.  Would be nice if someone
can point me in the right direction.

1.       Detect a previous installation of the same product not done with
MSI. I already handle previous msi installations.

2.       Detect previous installation folder ( registry has a file
extiension “open” command line)

3.       If previous detected, show dialog and if user want’s to retain
existing settings.

4.       If yes, copy some existing files to new selected destination folder
after installing new version.

5.       Uninstall existing product detected in step 1 (execute the already
existing UNISTALL.EXE program from the folder in step 2).

All this was easy to do in Wise, and I assume it is probably even easier in
Wix.  However, I don’t know where to find examples related to the above.

I have the Wix Cookbook and I have browsed the Wix tutorial.

Bjorn