[wix-users] Extensibility

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Thu Nov 5 11:54:25 PST 2015

I also wanted to add my own attribute to an existing WiX element, so I studied the BalExtension particularly the behavior of bal:Overridable and similar attributes.  I may not recall exactly why I decided against this approach, but I think I concluded that even with a compiler extension, I would also have to create a private Release build of the Wix toolset.
You could use a Custom Table to add data to the BootstrapperApplicationData.xml
    <CustomTable Id="CustomData" BootstrapperApplicationData="yes">
      <Column Id="MyData" Type="string" Category="Identifier" PrimaryKey="yes"/>
      <Row>
        <Data Column="Tag">$(var.someData)</Data>
      </Row>
    </CustomTable>
Or use a compiler extension to add a child to a Features element.  Look at any of the wix extensions source code for something similar to this.